The Medicare Premium Assistance Program helps Ohioans who are eligible for Medicare to pay the cost of Medicare premiums, deductibles, and co-payments.
The Medicare Premium Assistance Program offers different types of coverage based on a person’s income and assets. A person may be eligible for both Ohio Medicaid coverage and help with paying Medicare premiums, if he or she qualifies for both Medicaid and Medicare coverage.
Types of Assistance
1. Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB):
Covers Medicare Part A & B premium(s), deductibles and co-payments
Will get a special QMB card each month
Monthly income Limit: $973 or less for an individual and $1,311 for a couple
2. Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiary (SLMB):
Covers Medicare Part B premiums(s)
No monthly card
Individual responsible for paying Medicare deductible and any co-payments
Monthly income Limit: $1,167 or less for an individual and $1,573 or less per couple
3. Qualified Individual-1 (QI-1):
Same coverage as SLMB
Must apply every January
Monthly income Limit: $1,313 or less for an individual and $1,770 or less per couple
When applying you will need:
1. Your Social Security number
2. Your Medicare claim number and information on other health care insurance you may have
3. Proof of all sources of income
4. Proof of all your assets, including: cash, checking and savings accounts, stocks and bonds, real estate, motor vehicles, life insurance policies
Some items may not count as assets. These include: your primary home, one motor vehicle, burial or term life insurance policies, personal effects
When applying for MPAP, proof of income, resources, age or disability, citizenship (if not a U.S. citizen) and other health insurance is required. No face-to-face interview with the local county department of job and family services is necessary. Applicants can ask an authorized representative to apply on their behalf.